Looking for a great place to work? How about a 4-day work week? Want health care? Maybe $17/hr plus bonuses? A company that’s growing and exciting to work for? Amazing co-workers?
Then you should apply to work for us. We’re looking for a great repair technician for our store in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Our mission as a company is to make people’s lives better. Our employees, our customers, and our owners — in that order. We firmly believe that truly happy employees are the only way to achieve delighted customers, and delighted customers will result in a solid bottom line.
If that sounds like the kind of place you want to work and you believe you can help make that culture even better and stronger, then we want you to apply to be a electronics repair technician for us.
Perks of Working at JCD
We want great people. Great people deserve a good work environment. Here’s how we try to achieve that.
- 4-day work week (36-40 hours/week). You’ll work 3 days during the week and one weekend day.
- Good compensation. $17/hr plus monthly bonuses, 1-week of paid vacation per year, paid sick-time off, employee repair allowance, and health care coverage.
- Fixed Schedule. We try hard to make your work schedule fit your life schedule. It may change from time-to-time, but we don’t change it frequently. This means you can plan your life around work instead of the other way around.
- Flexibility. Need an extra day or two off? Just work with your co-workers to get your shifts covered and you’re all set.
- Trust & Empowerment. We trust our employees to do what’s best for our customers.
- Great co-workers. Since we strive to find the best people, you end up working beside some amazing people.
A quick note about our compensation.
When we hired our first employee in 2010 we paid $12/hr with no other benefits. It was all we could afford at the time. As our business has succeeded we’ve proactively improved that compensation. Just five years later, our starting pay is up to $17/hr (a 42% increase in 5 years), we’ve added the 1-week of paid vacation, added paid sick time, and as of December 1st we now have a health care benefit.
This company was started with the belief that a business could not only make money for its owners, but could be a transformational force in the life of its employees. That means you can expect us to continue to improve our compensation structure as the business continues to grow and do well.
The Ideal Candidate
Since each shop has a small staff (2-4 people), it’s important that everyone gets along and works well together. What does the right person look like?
- Good conversationalist.
- Likes people.
- Enjoys learning about new things.
- A little bit nerdy.
It would be great if you have experience fixing electronics (smartphones, tablets, computers, printers, cameras, etc) but it’s not critical. If you believe you have an aptitude for fixing things, please apply (some of our best techs had never fixed a device before joining us).
Brief Company History
Jet City Device Repair started as a part-time venture in a Seattle basement in 2007. Today we have 6 stores in 2 states, 25 employees, and fix over 3000 customer devices every month. Our sales have been up 50%-100% every year we’ve been in business. We finished 2015 with $3 million in sales and hope to do over $4 million in 2016.
Feel free to read the slightly outdated history of our business here.
Looking to 2016, we plan to expand into a couple more cities and to grow a new sales division that’s helping schools all over the country deal with their broken devices.
What to do Next
Still interested? Then please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should include the following 2 items:
- A paragraph about why you want to work for us and why you think you’d be good at it.
- Another paragraph telling us something interesting about yourself.
Why #2? Two reasons. First, we need to know that you can write intelligently and fluently. Emailing with customers is a big part of the job. Secondly, it helps us find out if you have the potential to be someone fun to work with. This single paragraph is as important as your resume and past work experience so take it seriously – but have some fun with it too.
We look forward to hearing from you.
A Few Resources
- Blog post written by us on applying for a job. This is about Craigslist but lots of the details apply.
- Two great posts about writing from Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert): The Day You Became a Better Writer and Writing Funny.
- Quotes from one of the greatest books ever on writing non-fiction.
- Our founders philosophy on employee empowerment.