Do you enjoy variety in your job? Like to learn a process and then figure out how to make it even better and faster? Are you always reading a book or watching random Youtube channels to try and learn a bit more about how the world works?
If you answered, “Yes,” to those questions, then we’d love to chat with you about a new position we have at our company.
Quick Job Description
You will be working with and reporting directly to the owner of the company and be located in Chicago, IL.
We’re looking for someone to take a number of processes we have, master them, and then make them even better. This includes:
- Ordering our inventory from China. Yes, you will become an importer!
- Helping to do shipping & receiving of inventory.
- Monitoring and evaluating our current vendors and exploring new relationships.
About Jet City Device Repair
We do iPhone, iPad, and Chromebook repairs for retail customers as well as schools and businesses. You can learn a little bit us from our slightly outdated “About Us” page. One important thing to know is our company core philosophy (which we really believe and try to live by):
To make people’s lives better. Our employees, our customers, and our owners — in that order. We firmly believe a happy employee will delight customers, and delighted customers result in a solid bottom line.
I know that might sound a little fluffy but it’s true. To see one simple example of this in action you can see our owner’s response to a customer that questioned an employee’s integrity. For more proof consider this abbreviated summary of our history: We started in a Seattle basement in 2007 and today has 4 retail stores in 3 cities, 2 mail-in repair depots (mostly for schools and businesses), 22 employees, and we will do about $3 million in sales in 2017. Lastly, you can peruse some of the Yelp reviews that customers have written about our Lincoln Park or Loop stores.
We believe these reviews and our company’s success are a direct result of living our values.
The Ideal Candidate
It should go without saying that we’re looking for someone reliable, hard working, and who doesn’t smell. I think those are almost always the basic requirements for a job.
So what extra qualities are we looking for?
The #1 trait you will have is problem solving and a devotion to learning. As I mentioned above, when you first start this position, you’ll be learning how we currently do things. Then you’ll be tasked with making them better.
Heres a more full summary of the traits we’re looking for:
- Excellent spreadsheet skills.
- Good communicator.
- Problem solver.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Believes deeply in the JCD mission to make people’s lives better.
Big bonus points if you can also speak mandarin, have some experience with East Asian culture/business, and have experience doing importing.
This position will have a bonus structure as a significant portion of its pay. Our goal is to see your gross pay be between $45-50K in your first year if you are successful and then rise from there. However, the base pay will be $35,000 per year plus:
- Health & dental insurance.
- One week of paid vacation.
- Accrued sick time (up to 40 hours a year).
- 401K plan (which we are working on setting up right now).
- Monthly, quarterly, and/or yearly bonuses based on performance.
- Flexible hours.
- Fantastic co-workers.
How will the bonuses work? You will sit down at regular intervals with the company’s owner to plan parts procurement goals and then set financial incentives based on those. These will definitely include parts quality (warranty rates) and parts cost as a percentage of revenue. They will also likely include inventory on hand (which we want to be low) versus parts shortages in our stores (which we never want to have happen).
What to do Next
Interested? Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should include the following 2 items:
- A paragraph about why you want to work for us and why you think you’d be good at it.
- Another paragraph telling us something interesting about yourself.
Why #2? First, we need to know you can write intelligently and fluently. Communicating with other staff is a big part of the job. Secondly, it helps us discover your potential to be fun to work with. This single paragraph is as important as your resume and past work experience so take it seriously – but have some fun with it too.
We look forward to hearing from you.
A Few Resources
- Blog post written by us on applying for a job. This is about Craigslist but lots of the details apply.
- Two great posts about writing from Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert): The Day You Became a Better Writer and Writing Funny.
- Quotes from one of the greatest books ever on writing non-fiction.